25 to 35 minutes in total
1) Obligatory composition: F. Schubert: any composition up to 8 minutes.
2) One or more compositions for four hands or for two pianos from classicism.
3) One or more compositions for four hands or for two pianos from romanticism
or 20th century period.
4) One or more compositions by a Czech contemporary composer (written after 1950), foreign participants are allowed to play contemporary composers from their countries (written after 1950)
- duration up to 8 minutes.
Condition: Competitors have to play at least one composition for two pianos.
1st round - 20 to 25 minutes in total
1) Obligatory composition: Franz Schubert: Andantino varie B minor op.84, n° 1.
2) One or more compositions for four hands or for two pianos by the following
composers: W. F. Bach, J. Chr. Bach, M. Clementi, J. Haydn, W. A. Mozart,
L. van Beethoven, J. N. Hummel, J. V. Voříšek, J. L. Dusík, L. Koželuh.
3) One or more compositions by a Czech contemporary composer(written after 1950), foreign participants are allowed to play contemporary composers from their countries(written after 1950)
- duration up to 10 minutes.
Condition: Competitors have to play at least one composition for two pianos in the 1st round.
2nd round - 35 to 40 minutes total
1) Antonín Dvořák: any composition from original works for four hands: Slavic dances
op.46, 72. Legends op.59. Cycle „Ze Šumavy" op.68a („From the Bohemian
Forest", „ Aus dem Böhmenwald").
2) One or more compositions from the international repertoire from any period.
3) One or more compositions by Franz Schubert chosen by the participants.
3rd round - concert with orchestra and for selected piece
1) W. A. Mozart: Concerto Eflat major for two pianos and orchestra K 365.
2) One of the compositions mentioned below:
B. Bartók: Sonata for two pianos and percussion (percussionists will be available in
J. Brahms: Sonata F minor op.34b.
P. Hindemith: Sonata for two pianos.
B. Martinů: Three Czech Dances for two pianos and Fantasy for two pianos.
S. Rachmaninov: Symphonic Dances op.45.
I. Stravinsky: Concerto per due pianoforti soli.
Conditions of participation in 2019
The competition is declared in two categories:
1st Category: maximum age limit is 21 years for each of participants,
(reached by 31 December 2019).
2nd Category: maximum age limit of the total age of both participants is 70 years;
the age of the competitors will be calculated as of 31 December 2019.
The competition in the 1st category includes one round, in the 2nd category there are three rounds.
1. Only original compositions for four hands or two pianos, eventually their authorized versions, can be played at the competition. The jury has the right to require music record for less known compositions from the contestants before having a competitive round.
2. Playing by memory is not obliged. A person for flipping sheets of music is not allowed. The position of pianos cannot be changed.
3. The awards, Special awards (Alois Složil award for the best rendition of Franz Schubert´s composition and Vlastimil Lejsek award for the best performance of czech contemporary composition) and honourable mentions are decided by the international jury. The decision of the jury is ultimate.
4. The winners will be announced and awarded at the final ceremonial prizewinners´ concert in Jeseník 27 April 2017.
5. Chosen participants - prizewinners will be offered a possibility to give a concert in the Czech Republic.
6. Deadline for registration is 28 February 2019. The enrolment fee for the piano duo in 1st category is €120, in 2nd category € 230. The enrolment fee for the piano duo from the Czech Republic in 1st category is 3,000 CZK, in 2nd category it is 6,000 CZK.
The enrolment fee must be paid at the same time as sending the application form, via bank transfer to the account of Municipal Cultural Amenities (MKZ) Jeseník, in KB bank, with the branch office in Jeseník, account number 5949950267, bank code 0100.The evidence of payment must be submitted at presentation. IBAN: CZ 23 0100 0000000594995026, BIC (Swift code): KOMBCZPP. Handling charges are covered by participants. The whole amount mentioned above should be transferred to the account of MKZ!
7. The participants are advised to check if they need to have a visa in order to enter the Czech Republic. MKZ organizers will co-operate in obtaining visas, if necessary. Incurred charges will be covered by participants at the competition presentation (about 300 CZK / €12).
8. The total sum for awards is minimum 150,000 CZK.
9. All audio and video recordings made during the competition are reserved by organizers for the use of their need.
10. * Only in the event of a large number of applications, the organizer reserves the possibility to announce changes to the schedule in the opening of the competition already on 24 April 2019 in the morning. This information will be published as soon as the applications are closed.
Město Jeseník, Ministerstvo kultury České republiky, Olomoucký kraj, za přispění Nadace Český hudební fond Praha, Nadace Bohuslava Martinů Praha, PETROF spol. s r. o. Hradec Králové, Nadace život umělce, Agentura J+D Praha, Rakouské kulturní fórum v Praze, Priessnitzových léčebných lázní, Základní umělecké školy a Městských kulturních zařízení v Jeseníku